HOW TO CREATE A HOME YOGA STUDIO
When I first fell in love with yoga I tried over and over again to develop my at home yoga practice. I struggled and most of the time got distracted, stopped and became dependent on yoga studios. Now there’s nothing wrong with a yoga studio (I own one and REALLY want you all to come back when we reopen) but having the ability to practice yoga at home too is incredible! Covid-19 meant that all yoga studios closed and we were then left to practice yoga at home, sometimes on Zoom, sometimes on our own but almost always in our homes. This is the beauty of yoga…it can be practiced anywhere.
A pandemic can’t take yoga away from us!
For some of us we may have even found it easier to practice yoga more frequently now that we don’t have to take our pyjamas off or get in the car! This is why I have created an online yoga studio with classes, courses and freebies THAT’S COMING SOON! I am so excited to share it with you – make sure you’re on the mailing list to get the details when it launches.
So below I have some tips, advice and options for you to create an incredible home yoga studio! Remember these are recommendation – ultimately it’s what makes you happy and calm that will make that space. Then get your butt on the mat and practice!
HOW TO DIY YOUR HOME YOGA SPACE
Think about where you want your space to be?
- Choose a room or area in your home that’s free of distractions (or almost free)
- If you have an outdoor space and the weather is nice-this is a real treat!
- Somewhere with a floor that is flat
- A room with light-look for those windows-soak up the Vit-D
- Somewhere with enough room for you to spread out
Know your body. If you think you need these invest or ask for a present!
- Yoga Mat– Ask around. If your knees or wrists hurt get a thicker mat. If you practice a lot at home, invest in a durable mat!
- A yoga towel or ANY towel if you sweat a lot.
- A bolster is a luxury investment – it helps open the heart, can support the low back, aids in restorative postures, helps to go deeper into postures.
- A strap can aid in flexibility and make a lot of postures more accessible.
- A set of blocks – these should be in everyone’s home! Yoga blocks help in almost any posture to feel grounded, balanced, lengthened, or relaxed.
Make this space yours, get creative but keep clutter free!
- Plants! I have a massive obsession with plants and they make the space just so much more warm and inviting. Easy to take care of plants are best!
- A couple of larger items – sculpture, plant pot, steal from other shelves in the house!
- A scented candle or better still a diffuser that constantly sends out bursts of your favourite scent
- A print or piece of art
- A portable speaker to play music
Give the floor a clean, dust, clear away cobwebs. You’ll be surprised at how easily you can get distracted by these things when you practice. Don’t forget to clean your mat too! Wipe it down.
This is such an important one. If you have bright lighting that makes it hard for you to relax maybe buy a lamp or get some candles. The best lighting is natural light. If your practicing at night take some time before hand to light a bunch of candles it will really set the mood!
WHAT CAN YOU DO NOW?
- Abundance Course
- 5 – 10 sun salutation A and B
- Cat cows, twists and hamstring stretches
- One of my videos!
- Meditate (Abundance Course)
- Practice pranayama (breathing) exercises (10 day breathing challenge)
- Read books, write in a journal, sit and think
- Get creative – make a vision board, draw or have a cheeky nap!
Find Out More
A transformational yoga class that takes you from beginner to confidently attending any yoga class!